Thursday, December 19, 2013

Frosty Mornings

In between holiday preparations, snow shoveling, and dog walking, I took some pictures of the birds that flocked to my feeders this week during the snowfalls and frigid temperatures. They looked striking against a frosty backdrop. When the feeders were crowded, the goldfinches and juncos opted for seeds from the garden flowers. A Red-bellied Woodpecker jabbed at an apple on one of the trees in the yard. A Carolina Wren ate privet berries from my neighbor's hedge. The juncos and American Tree Sparrow hopped under the dried, snow topped Miscanthus sinensis grass for cover. It was five degrees one morning when I took some of the shots. I didn't last outside for long.
Dark-eyed Juncos

Tufted Titmouse

Miscanthus sinensis grass
American Tree Sparrow and Goldfinch


Blue Jay

Carolina Wren


No comments:

Post a Comment