Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snowy Barred Owl in Woods

On Monday morning January twenty-seventh at around nine, I was walking through the woods with my dog. The slightest of sounds made me look up at a white pine tree. There, on an upper branch, sat a Barred Owl. I quickly walked past the tree for about ten yards. Hoping I hadn't disturbed it, I then took a look back. Just beautiful! It seemed that its eyes were partially closed. I wondered if it would be roosting there for a bit. I got back twenty minutes later with my camera. It was perched in the same spot. After taking a few pictures I left since the click of the camera was bothering it. Notice the bark off the branch in places. I am thinking it is a favorite roost and the talons are wearing the bark away. We were having a snow squall and the third picture shows snow coating the owl's head.
Barred Owl in Woods South of Village

It turned its back on me!

Head turned almost 180 degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment