Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Out and About: The Great Backyard Bird Count February 17 - 20, 2017

I have done the GBBC for many years now and like to do it as a hike through the Village of Round Lake. The count gives ornithologists a big picture of which birds are where at this time of year. Anyone can do it. You can count for fifteen minutes, submitting one checklist or all four days and send multiple lists to GBBC.org. It is conducted around the world. While walking my dog everyday, I get to know where certain birds hang out and can walk by their haunts and include them on count days. However, I do need to either see or hear them. There always seems to be one species that doesn't show itself for all four days. This year it was the Pileated Woodpecker. I usually see them on South Lawn excavating a tree for what I'm sure, is a dug-out canoe. I went to the spot a number of times over the count period and no sign of them. Tuesday morning, after the count was over, I heard their call. I did get to report nineteen species for Round Lake by walking around and also by counting the birds at my yard feeders, which is a Project Feeder Watch site. Some of the birds on my checklists were a Northern Flicker, Eastern Bluebird, Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers, American Robins, Red-bellied Woodpeckers and American Tree Sparrows.
American Robins Eating Staghorn Sumac

American Robin Eating Crab Apples

European Starling

Where the Pileated Woodpecker Wasn't on South Lawn
I

No comments:

Post a Comment