Monday, October 7, 2019

Out and About: What a Lovely September!

I remember last year's September weather taking a nose dive after mid-month. Thankfully, this September had many beautiful blue sky and sunny seventy degree days which made us very happy. On September third while out in my garden in the afternoon, I came across two Monarch caterpillars munching on milkweed. By evening one caterpillar had attached itself horizontally to the back of the house. It was about two inches long. The next day the caterpillar was in a J shape on the house. They get into this position when becoming a chrysalis. I couldn't locate the second caterpillar and wondered if it had gone off to become a chrysalis too. On September sixth at 9:30 a.m. the caterpillar was still in its J shape but at 2:30 p.m. it was a chrysalis! I missed the transformation. That same afternoon Amelia Rigney found a praying mantis in the children's playground on the merry-go-round. It spun around with her and didn't seem to mind the motion. Its eyes and face made me think of an alien. Great find Amelia! So back to the chrysalis. I checked on it everyday and by September fourteenth  it was becoming clear and I could see the butterfly colors. The next day when I looked nothing was there not even an empty chrysalis. I couldn't believe it and was so disappointed. I hope the butterfly came out, dried its wings, went on its way and has a good trip to Mexico! Through the rest of September I had three or four Monarchs at a time taking nectar from the asters and butterfly bush in my garden. Painted Lady and Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterflies were constant visitors too. My last hummingbird sighting was on September twentieth.  No frost yet. Fingers crossed that we don't get one for awhile because my pepper plants are still flowering and fruiting. That sums up September. Happy Fall to All!!!
Monarch Caterpillar Eating Milkweed

Attached to House

Munched Milkweed

Monarch Caterpillar in J Shape

Newly Formed Monarch Chrysalis

Monarch Chrysalis Day Nine

Praying Mantis

Alien Looking

Great Find Amelia!!!

Milkweed Tussock Moth Caterpillar

Painted Lady Butterfly

I O Moth Caterpillar on Cleveland Avenue

Nasturium. It was a nectar source for hummingbirds

Monarch Butterflies enjoying Asters

 I got out of town: Rocky Falls on Indian Pass Brook in Adirondacks

Split Rock Falls on Boquet River in New Russia Adirondacks

No comments:

Post a Comment