Thursday, February 6, 2014

Snow Day Entertainment

It was snowing all day on February fifth. My bird feeders were filled and I was counting birds for Project Feeder Watch. Cardinals, House and Gold Finches, European Starlings, and several Cowbirds were crowded onto the feeders.  White-throated and American Tree Sparrows, along with Dark-eyed Juncos, were hopping around the ground under the feeders and through the garden foraging for seeds. I got the idea to sprinkle some sunflower seeds on the porch. I thought some ground feeding birds might appreciate the sheltered dining spot. It didn't take long for the Dark-eyed Juncos to find the offering. They didn't even mind my dogs intently watching them and every so often, barking and jumping at the glass-paned door.
Male Dark-eyed Junco

Fluffed Up Feathers for Warmth

No comments:

Post a Comment