Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Out and About: More Bird Visitors

My bird feeders have been busy this winter and I have seen a couple of birds that I wasn't expecting. While doing The Great Backyard Bird Count in mid-February, a Northern Flicker, "Yellow-shafted", came to the suet. I hadn't seen one yet this winter. Then I spotted a female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker on the apple tree in the yard. Also a first sighting. She flew in for suet too. I was happy I could count both birds for GBBC. The photos are taken through a glass door as I've learned from experience that opening the door for a clearer photo would scare them away. A Common Redpoll came to the yard in early February. She was by herself and looking very tired. She sat in the sun for a good amount of time before foraging on the ground below the feeders. Another afternoon I got a visit from a juvenile Cooper's Hawk. It perched on a raised garden bed with its back to the feeders. It was looking towards  the house but from time to time would turn to scan the feeders and yard. I caught a photo of it taking off showing its beautiful wing and tail feathers. The first photo is of several American Goldfinches. They are eating the Black-eyed Susan flower seed heads I left up for the winter hoping birds would eat them.
American Goldfinches
Black-capped Chickadees seen at Moreau State Park's Songbird Blind
Female Hairy Woodpecker and Black-capped Chickadee
Common Redpoll Female
Common Redpoll takes flight
Juvenile Cooper's Hawk. Note the splotch of blood on the breast.
Ready for Take Off
Male( Yellow-shafted) Northern Flicker
Female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and European Starling

No comments:

Post a Comment